POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Icy coast (95k) : Re: Icy coast (95k) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Icy coast (95k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 Jul 2000 16:19:44
Message: <397CA4E9.60BAF6F5@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

[...]
> And one more thing: variable reflection.

Already there, but you do not see much of it.

> The radiosity in MegaPOV doesn't need much tweaking for most
> scenes...just copy-pasting the values from one of the sample scenes
> often works.

I tried that and it did not change anything...

> Maybe just adding greenish-blueish areas on the sides would work...or
> make the sides partly transparent and fill it with a blue-green emitting
> media.

See my second version, I did not yet try media, but even without, it works quite
well.

> > That's the problem with the crackle-texture, I not yet have any idea
> > how to solve that (maybe I have to remove them by hand :-( )
>
> Hmm, they wouldn't look so out of place if there was a bunch of small
> ice chunks and slush around them...and don't forget that you could just
> use CSG to remove them. Or you could output an image for the height
> field and edit that.

That's exactly what i'm doing all the time :-) I also thought about smaller ice
pieces, would be not that difficult to add them, but I'm not sure whether they
would look good.

> > Right now, i use a heightfield, so that would be a problem, maybe i
> > should change it to an isosurface, but that would no more allow
> > manual changes.
>
> Well, first, what do you mean by "manual changes"? I don't think there
> is anything you can do with height fields that can't be done with
> isosurfaces...

I meant removing some parts/selective changes.  For example i removed some part
of the mountain HF behind the camera casting shadows on the foreground.  Of
course you could have removed them from isosurface with CSG operations, but that
would be much more difficult.

> Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to add your own ice floe. Just leave
> the current ones where they are, and put one as a separate object in
> front of the camera.

I already considered that, it would need a different viewpoint/view direction
but I will give it a try...

Thanks for your suggestions, even though I'm not sure whether i will have time
to try everything in the next days ...

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>